Family PetitionsChavarro Law Firm - greencard

Current U.S. Immigration law allows U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents(LPR) to petition for certain qualified relatives to come and live permanently in the United States.

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens [Spouse, unmarried child under the age of 21, and parents (if the U.S. citizen is over the age of 21)] have special immigration priority and do not have to wait in line for a visa number to become available for them to immigrate because there are an unlimited number of visas for their particular categories.

If your relationship does not qualify you as an immediate relative of a U.S. citizen (Son or Daughter over 21, Sibling of U.S. citizen, or Spouse or unmarried child of LPR), then you may be in what is called a “family preference category.” Congress has limited the number of relatives who may immigrate under these categories each year so there is usually a waiting period before an immigrant visa number becomes available.

Filing and approval of a Petition is only the first step in helping a relative immigrate to the United States. There are many different steps and paths for these relatives to obtain permanent residence and be able to remain in the United States. Therefore, it is extremely important to have the guidance of an experienced immigration law attorney.

Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status is the process by which a qualified immigrant can become a Lawful Permanent Resident while living in the United States. A lawful permanent resident is someone who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis. As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly known as a “green card.” You can adjust your status to become a permanent resident several different ways. However, most individuals are sponsored by a family member or employer in the United States. Other individuals may become permanent residents through refugee or asylee status or other humanitarian programs. In some cases, you may be eligible to file for yourself.

The steps to become a permanent resident are different for each category and will depend on if you are currently living inside or outside the United States. If you are unsure which immigration path best fits your particular situation contact an experienced immigration law attorney who will answer all your questions.

Consular Processing

Consular processing is the method some immigrants go through to get their green card when outside the United States or when ineligible to adjust status in the United States. An individual who is the beneficiary of an approved immigrant petition and has an immigrant visa number immediately available may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to come to the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident. This pathway is referred to as “consular processing.”

Phone: 404-400-1774
Fax: 470-443-1661
4643 Buford Dr.
Chamblee, GA 30341